Friday, June 17, 2011

June is for outdoor living


June has been just a grand time for outdoor living! The ticks are terrible and the colorado potato beetles too. But we're enjoying the little ripe wild strawberries and the field of blue flag iris to draw us outside and enjoy. The weather has been up and down. Rainy and cold then crisp and autumn like, and in between times, hazy hot and humid! Gotta love New England weather. I've been out riding a lot lately. I finally broke down and got shoes on King's back feet too. I'd worn his feet off to stubbs again. I'd been trying to make some new hoof boots work, but the learning curve is too steep for us and my patience too little. Shoes all around and we're off and running again. This weekend I managed a ride each day even with the "liquid sunshine" that was all around. At least the soggy cold weather kept the nastiest of flies at bay. I managed a ride yesterday, and the day before. Each for a couple of hours. Ahh. Tuesday found us with homeschoolers aboard the replica ships of the Nina & Pinta. Hard to imagine men living and exploring on those little ships. Next we let the kids run around at Fort McClary in Kittery.
Around the yard it's been egg laying season for the turtles. Snappers mostly but some little painted ones too. We took a whole morning to watch several of them laying eggs and meandering back to the pond via our stream, then we came in to nature journal about them and web search the answers to all of the questions I was asked. "Are they Herbavores?" "How many eggs do they lay?" "How do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" Ahh, one I can answer...it's a girl because it's laying the eggs... "I know that, but how do you know a boy from a girl?" Hmmm. We'll wiki that one too. I think we answered about 15 of his 20 or more questions. Science can be so much fun to do.

Another interesting happening around here is our new automatic mowing lawn! Okay, it's actually my dad, his dog Reba-Nellie, and HIS new mower! Dad has always loved to mow lawns. His 5 acres is mostly woods with a little patch of lawn. Our 11 + acres is mostly fields with a little woods. I've spent hours each week in the summers (John too) mowing the lawn parts and brush hogging the field parts. HOURS. So much so that I've really been looking into taking a good patch of lawn out and turning it into a riding ring--sand. No mowing sand! I'd like a 100 X 200 ring down front. However, my dear groom sees that as his golf green. He likes the lawn. Apparently my dad does too. I'm outvoted when dad buys a shiny new Cub Cadet and then shows up to mow for us too! You may have noticed the little brown doggie on the mower. Dad's dog can't live without him. If he puts her in the house or car while he mows she runs, pants, barks, claws at the windows...in general she goes nuts. But she happily rides along while he mows! Even for HOURS. Thanks Dad! Thanks Reba!

~Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Update! Love the snapper pic with hens in background. I have pictures of snappers from past years but haven't seen any yet this year. I'm sure they are here. Ah yes, the lawn and field mowing. When your Dad isn't mowing yours, send him our way. Two weekends ago, Ron spent almost the entire weekend mowing. We loaned our tractor with the brush hog on it to son Tim so we needed to get everything mowed before it left.
I keep asking Ron for a mower for me so that I can help out. I used to have an old riding mower but he traded it for house painting. The one that he has is one that you stand on a little skid plate and ride it around. I can't operate that one. I love to mow the lawn, but my hands are tied for the time being anyway.
King's picture is very artistic! I love it! Have you been taking lessons from your horse photographer?
LynM