Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Spring--conditioning season

So spring for me was a season to condition for our upcoming Competitive Trail and Endurance rides.  I officially was back in the saddle after a long stretch on March 18th.  The countdown to May 10th begins there.  At first we ventured out just by going up and down the driveway and finally up and down the road.  King is full of spring and for horse people we know what that means!  A lot of kicking up of heels and wanting to GO!

So I found him places that we could do just that.  Miles and miles of dirt roads.  I have to pick carefully though as the spring road conditions are an ever changing thing.

There is ice covered in mud like this.  Sometimes just ice, lots town maintenance crews to work around and little rocks they leave behind after doing a good job with the york rake.

Spring rides have pussy willows which to me are a true sign that spring is winning out over winter.

More good signs as the turkey breeding season is bringing out many large Toms who display and fight in the yard.

And a courting pair of cardinals.  Look for her, she's up high to the right in this photo.

Then the trails start to thaw out and I have more options.

Some of them get quite muddy though.  This is the true frost coming out of the ground mud. 

And at long last I have snow free views on my rides.  April 17th.  

No comments: